Industry Sector: Fund formation. Transactions.
We have substantial experience representing hedge fund managers across the full spectrum of their activities. We have particular experience with futures and commodities and derivatives trading.
We represent hedge fund managers in the establishment of operations in Hong Kong and the formation of funds. In fund formation, we act as both local and lead counsel and are experienced in developing appropriate strategies to minimize tax, to facilitate capital raising and to comply with applicable laws and regulations. Our experience includes:
- Counsel to a Hong Kong based hedge fund in relation to specialized tax structuring issues on fund formation arising from their credit derivatives trading activities
- Counsel to a Hong Kong managed hedge fund in the restructuring of the fund through the creation of a side-pocket to hold illiquid claims as a result of the insolvency of one of their prime brokers
- Counsel to a U.S. based manager of a US$4 billion hedge fund in its establishment of investment management operations in Hong Kong
- Counsel to Hong Kong managed hedge fund in relation to its claims against its prime broker, Lehman Brothers, following the latter's insolvency
- Counsel to a US$4.8 billion U.S. based hedge fund in respect of a review of its compliance with applicable regulatory requirements
Leveraging our core regulatory strength, we have advised hedge funds on privatizations and other special situations involving companies listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong and in respect of trades involving complex regulatory issues. Our experience includes:
- Counsel to a PRC based asset manager in respect of its ISDA agreements
- Counsel to a US based hedge fund in respect of a US$1.3 billion privatization of a company listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
- Counsel to an Asian based hedge fund in respect of a US$2.2 billion privatization by scheme of arrangement of a company listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
- Counsel to a US based family office with over US$4 billion of assets under management in relation to insider dealing issues arising from its investment research activities